Changes in lifestyle and eating habits can mean a big change when you step on the scale. Make the right choices and you will meet your weight loss goals. The following tips can help you.
1. Start a weight loss journal. Science has proven that a record of what you eat is the single most valuable tool for losing weight! It will clearly show you what does and doesn’t work and help you tweak your diet until you are on the right track. Write down why you eat also, especially if you’ve cheated and keep track of daily calories.
2. Read all labels when shopping. Manufacturers make this difficult by using small print and confusing terms, but you are smarter than that! Educate yourself about ingredients, such as healthy and unhealthy fats, and understand exactly what you’re doing to your body with the foods you put into it. Make it easier on yourself by having an app on your phone that will qualify and disqualify foods. Make no exceptions when it comes to reading every label.
3. Make your own food naturally. Modern food is so convenient and unfortunately, so delicious! Although it’s a million times easier to pop a box of prefabricated food in your microwave, making it the old fashioned way is healthier and will help you lose weight. Steam foods, simmer meats in healthy oils and make everything tastier with spices, instead of using a lot of salt.
4. Reduce portion sizes. Losing weight is all a matter of working off more than you put in, and if you’re constantly filling your plate up, weight loss will be next to impossible. Purchase a scale for your kitchen and measure what you eat. Learn to recognize a quantity by eye or hand, so that when you eat a “portion” of something, your calculations are not thrown off by inaccurate measurements. Serve food on smaller plates too, as this will automatically cut down portion sizes.
5. Avoid emotional eating. Many people eat when they are bored or unhappy, and this can make losing weight even more challenging. Understand the real signals of hunger and differentiate them from emotional triggers, such as stress and anger. Controlling your appetite is one of the most effective ways to manage weight, so consider going for a walk or having a chat with a friend when you feel like eating due to something other than necessity.
6. Give yourself a break once in a while. Weight loss is tough and without a few rewards here and there, you may be inclined to give up your efforts. Keep yourself motivated by permitting reasonable and occasional indulgences of your favorite foods. Enjoy them in moderation, to avoid wiping out a lot of hard work, but have a treat sometimes and savor the moment.
7. Make exercise a part of your weight loss plan. Staying active has many benefits outside of weight loss, giving you many reasons to do it. When you are trying to lose weight, regular exercise is one of your best tools. Make a plan to be active throughout the day and incorporate serious exercise into your life, like healthy cardio or low-impact aerobics. Start swimming or running, and even after you’ve met your weight loss goals; keep your body in motion!
You can lose weight when you make the right choices and changes in your life. Start today and see a difference in as little as a week!